flip flops anonymous

What can I say? I'm addicted!!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

life's little lessons

Consuming mass amounts of bread. Singing songs of good tidings. Laughter. Having to be rolled back to your car because walking is nearly impossible. Spumoni ice cream. Free mints. What does all of this mean?! I just enjoyed a delightful evening at THE OLD SPAGHETTI FACTORY in Gastown!! *sidebar: the Old Spaghetti Factory in Walnut Grove is opening up soon!! WOO HOO!!* Tonite we celebrated our dear friend's Rachel's 24th Birthday. After taking several wrong turns and nearly hitting a pedestrian, my insane car full of girls finally managed to find its way down to one of my favorite areas in Vancouver (how is it an adventure if you don't get lost at one point during your travels?!) Gastown is a truly unique place...I love the 'cobblestone' roads, the lamp posts and the steam clock that always manages to freak the crap out of me. I will provide pictures of our fantabulous evening later on...

It was a great evening of laughter, friendship and overindulgence (classic). However, although that part of the evening was terrific...I would have to say that the true 'highlight' of my evening was my interaction with the disabled man outside of the restaurant who was asking if we had any spare change, the lesson he taught me, and the conversation that ensued afterwards with my friend Liz. A lot of people have said that it's pointless to give money to people who are homeless. "They'll just use it for drugs" "What a waste" are all phrases that I've heard before. I totally agree that taking someone out for a meal and building a relationship is, in the long run, much more meaningful/'effective'. However, sometimes there isn't time for that. Who are we to judge how someone uses the money that they have been given? Jesus recognized that people have important spiritual AND physical needs. If someone asks for a loaf of bread. Give it to them. If they need some clothes. Offer something of yours. Jesus spent a great deal of time in, what we would call, 'relational ministry' with his disciples. However, when he performed many of his miracles, he saw an immediate need and offered healing (both to the body and the spirit). So, when someone asks me for money and I'm 'on the run', I give them some money (or, in Liz's case she gave her 'doggy bag') and say "Lord, I am entrusting them with this money. Please help them to use it wisely". However, ultimately Jesus looks at the state of our heart for why we are giving and the rest is up to Him and the reciever of the 'gift'. Now, some people may argue that this is a bit of a 'sketch philosphy'. "So, are you saying that I should just blindly give my money away to any organization/person who asks for it and not be a good steward?!". Absolutely not. BUT, when someone has to humble themselves enough to come and ask for money and beg for food I say "See the immediate need, and provide". I hope this blog isn't interpreted as me saying 'we are holier than thou' (haha) but rather I was reminded that, when someone asks, we need to look them in the eye and to provide in whatever way we can (may be spare change, may be a kind response). There are times where I've caught myself avoiding eye contact and ignoring the question "got any spare change?" by quickly walking by. Christ reminded me that HE has created each person on this earth and that, whatever I do/say to someone I am doing/saying to Him. I can so easily become consumed with my own selfish thoughts *sigh*. This man was SO thankful to recieve some money and was eager to take Liz's 'doggy bag'. How much more vulnerable can you be?!

Dear Father. I ask that you will be with this man tonight. Please provide for his physical needs. Give him food, shelter and warm clothing. Father, also provide for the needs of his heart. May he see glimpses of You in the people He interacts with. May people show him kindness and not pity. Please place someone in his life to be a solid friend. Someone who will care about him and be 'You' in physical form. Thank you for his genuine thankfulness. Bless him tonight Jesus and keep him safe. All this I ask in your precious name. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home