flip flops anonymous

What can I say? I'm addicted!!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

once upon a time...



Ever since I was a little girl I have loved fairy tales. My Granny used to tell me stories about fairies and read me books about their adventures. I would sit and listen for hours, hanging on her every word. I once asked her 'Are fairies real Granny?'. She looked surprised and said 'Of course!' (as though there should even be the slightest bit of doubt in my mind). My imagination would run wild. I created poems, stories and illustrations about a world full of knights, unicorns, enchanted forests, epic battles, princesses and fairies. I even took a class on Medievel history at TWU and wrote a paper about Sir Lancelot!! I think what has kept me fascinated with fairy tales is the battle between good and evil (probably why I love the Lord of the Rings so much). Although the battle for what is right is difficult, good always triumphs in the end. I guess, in many ways, I feel that there is a strong connection between fairy tales and our own spiritual journey.

I still dream of being a medieval princess with a long flowing cape. However, I wouldn't want to be one of those princesses who sits up in the tower, daydreaming about bunnies and knights on white horses (although, in a perfect world, that would be nice...haha). I would want to be a skilled swordswoman/archer who comes to the rescue of those in need!! I would ride alongside 'prince charming' and we would take the world by storm!!

What is the point of this blog entry?! (most people know that I love the world of 'fantasy' / medieval times). Well dear friends, I'm glad you asked. November 16th marks the celebration of my 23rd birthday. When I was thinking about what I wanted to do for my birthday this year, one of my friends asked me 'what would you REALLY like to do?'. I thought long and hard and this is what I concluded: I love costume parties. I love fairy tales. Naturally, I made a connection. A FAIRY TALE PARTY!! I know that November is still a long way off...but I wanted to give people time to think about which fairy tale character they would like to be. Now guys, I know you may be thinking 'this is dumb girly stuff'. HECK NO!! You can be any fictional character (good or evil) that you want to be. If you do want to be a disney prince though, be my guest (spare us the tights though...*awkward*). I am thinking of having my party on November 25th (a Saturday) and part of it will be in the 'enchanted forest' (aka. Megs' backyard) so dress warmly. I am SUPER excited about my party and I want tons of people to come!! Just one condition: you HAVE to dress up!! No excuses!! I know most of you guys like to dress up though (*cough* MEGS), so it shouldn't be a problem (well, except Jess..haha). Start thinking!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to be a problem hey?! Haha, I might just show up the birthday girl! You never know! I guess you'll have to wait and see...

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I just noticed....what is 'one upon a time' anyway?

10:24 PM  
Blogger Megs said...

hahaha...YAY DRESS UP...you know me too well. I'm soo stoked!! gooood times all around!

12:13 AM  
Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

I'll wear my costume all day just for you...all by myself...just for fun. Sniff sniff...I hope your party is as magical as mine were - great memories! Wish I could be there - but alas. DANG THE BANK!!! Love ya dearest - just don't wait for prince charming to arrive. It's a bit disappointing!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Megs said...

oooh i should bring "hott" guy from school...hahaha

11:42 AM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

do it!! he can be your 'prince charming' ;)

4:07 PM  
Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

hey...no ragging on Tyco if you're not going to update your blog chicky! I should have an interesting blog update in a couple days...dun dun dun!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home