flip flops anonymous

What can I say? I'm addicted!!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

a heart of thankfulness


Right now Kayla and I are going through 'Addicted to God' by Jim Burns for our one-on-one discipleship. The whole first week focuses on attitude which I often find to be both convicting and humbling at the same time. How we choose to view our lives, the circumstances we find ourselves in, the hardships and the joys are all a matter of perspective. It is a CHOICE. I remember once hearing a sermon analogy that, at first seemed like just another cheezy illustration, but later really struck a chord in my heart. Instead of being frustrated that there is housework to do, be thankful that you have a home. Instead of grumbling at the price of gas, be thankful that you have a car to drive. Easy right? Wrong! Sometimes it requires a shift in attitude to truly appreciate the countless ways that God blesses our lives. In one of the daily devotionals in Burns' book, he tells the story of two elderly men who are both confined to their hospital beds (no noise, no distractions). In order to drain the fluid from his lungs, one of the men has to have his bed elevated for an hour each day. Every day the men look forward to this time because, when the man is elevated, he is able to look out the window and tell the other man everything that is happening in the park across the way. Children playing in the pond, couples in love, a dog chasing a stick. He is a 'window' to the outside world. One day, the man who is unable to move at all begins to let bitterness seep into his heart. Why can't HE look out the window? Why should the man next to the window have all of the pleasure of seeing what was going on? One evening, the man next to the window suddenly woke up, coughing and choking. The other man sat silently without moving. The coughing racked the darkness. On and on. But the man lying in his bed continued to stare at the ceiling. The next morning the nurse came into the room and found the 'man with the view' dead. The other man asked if he could be placed in the bed next to the window. The minute the nurses left the room he propped himself up on one elbow and strained as he looked out the window. It faced a blank wall.

I'll admit...I got a bit teary-eyed when I read this story. I was humbled by the man who, day after day, came up with stories to brighten the day. He made a choice to see past the blank wall. I was also saddened for the man who allowed bitterness to reign instead of to have an attitude of thankfulness. The consequences of his actions far outweighed what lay beyond the windowsill.

This story led me to reflect on what I am truly thankful for in life. To look for areas that I have been blessed. I often need to 'shift my perspective'. I made a list in my journal and I will share some of the ways that I have been so richly blessed in my life:

- I am thankful for the grace and salvation (which I definitely don't deserve) that I have recieved from my Saviour and best friend.
- I am thankful for my parents who both pursue after God with their lives and are an amazing example of a married couple who love and serve one another.
- I am thankful for my sister and for Kristian. I have been blown away by the way that God has transformed both of their lives and for the amazing marriage He has blessed them with.
- I am thankful that I recieved a free university education
- I am thankful that our youth prayed such genuine prayers last night at youth
- I am thankful for my TOCing job that allows me to interact with cool kids all day
- I am thankful for my TRULY amazing friends who have brought laughter and craziness into my life and who walk alongside me during both my my trials and joys
- I am thankful for my vehicle (despite the automatic seatbelts and the leaky trunk ;))
- I am thankful for the foster children that have been placed in our home. I am thankful that every time one has to leave us, God increases my heart and I have love in abundance to give again.
- I am thankful for the hardships that I have had to face. They have brought me to my knees in prayer and have taught me what it means to persevere.
- I am thankful that I have the opportunity to save for going to Australia with Anne-Marie.
- I am thankful for my good health
- I am thankful for my church community that desires to grow in relationship with God and isn't willing to settle for ordinary things.
- I am thankful that Janelle got into her photography school in Hawaii
- I am thankful that God never gives up on people and that His hand is always there to grab if we acknowledge our need for Him
- I am thankful that I am not in control of my life and that God sees the 'big picture'.
- I am thankful that I am learning more about prayer
- I am thankful that I got to go swimming tonite with Mel and Janny and that we had a water fight in the changeroom...haha!!
- I am thankful for Laura and Conor's faith
- I am thankful for the college and career group that is forming in our church
- I am thankful for Corrie and Natty's new home
- I am thankful that I have the opportunity to be a part of God's work in the lives of the youth

Thank you Jesus. A million times THANKS!!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

I am thankful for you...looking forward to Australia sister!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll second that Anne-Marie- I am very thankful for you Maia. I feel so blessed that God has given me such an amazing sister. I am so proud of the woman you have become and I am constantly amazed by your wisdom. I love you!
~ Sarah

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home