flip flops anonymous

What can I say? I'm addicted!!

Sunday, December 17, 2006

just bust a move...


Tonight was one of the randomest/funnest nights I've had in awhile. Sometimes the best evenings of fun are totally unplanned and sponateous. I love these adventures ;)
Tonight was my parents infamous annual Christmas party. I love this Christmas party. I love this party because I love my parents friends. Sarah and Kris left Kris's work party early just so that they could come b/c "your parents party is my favorite Christmas party of the year!!" (Kristian).
It started out like any other Christmas party...the usual "New Life" gang. Most of my parents friends attend the Church that I attended until Grade 10/11 (my parents still attend this church). One of my childhood friend's mums came out to the party and she said "Oh Maia! Leslie and Cam live in Walnut Grove now! Cam (her husband) is at the Canucks game and she is baking cookies with Sarah (another girl I grew up with). You should give them a call!". So I did just that!! I haven't seen either of these girls in several years and we haven't all hung out together since about grade 9/10. AND, wonder of wonders, THEY CAME OVER!! After lots of hugging and high pitched talking (ha ha) Sarah informed me that she and Leslie were heading to a hootenany at her school. Sarah attends the Dance Barn which is a Christian dance school/outreach program located just off of 88th in Walnut Grove. Sarah and Leslie both said "Hey, you should totally come out tonite!!" and I thought what the heck, count me in!!
When I arrived at the Dance Barn I felt like I was at A Rocha. However, instead of being surrounded by people who are passionate about the environment, I was surrounded by an eclectic group of people who are passionate about dance and other forms of artistic expression!! Awesome!! :) After a lot of introductions and a trip to the food table (mmm) we decided it was time to brave it and go out on the dance floor!! WOO HOO!! I thought it might be 'intimidating' being with a bunch of highly trained dancers...but everyone was acting like a dork and it was amazing!! I busted out every move in the book and then some. We even did a dance circle!! The best part of the dance was that the music was live and the musicians were phenomenal! (I love 'artsy fartsy' people...heh heh). After 10:30 a lot of people began to make their ways home (some people live at the school but most commute in). This is when the real fun began ;) We had a smaller dance party and then Leslie and I grabbed jimbay's and were drumming along (killing ourselves laughing I might add). But wait, it gets better!! The COOLEST part of all is that the Dance Barn offers dance classes to the public!! I did a fair bit of dancing growing up and it's something I've always wanted to 'pick up' again. However, a lot of places that offer hip hop are sketch. THESE people know how to bust a move but in a 'tasteful' fashion ;). SO, come January 2007, we are going to take a hip hop class at the Dance Barn!! AHHH!! I'm SO excited :) I got to re-connect with some amazing girls AND we're going to dance. I felt like I was in high school because Leslie, Sarah and I's parents were all at my house and we were out partying it up. It's so great when God brings old friends back into your life...I'm anticipating lots more crazy times with Leslie and Sarah ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

I'm gonna be honest and say that i didnt' really read through this one...i'm too tired to BUT i did hear all about it from you so i dont feel so bad! Maia I love you SO much and ill call you tomorrow

love love

11:33 PM  
Blogger Erin Kathryn Davis said...

hahaaaa Maia!!! Sounds like a fun night out =)

I remember when we were at Trinity and you talked about wanting to dance again. So awesome you are going to pick it up again in January. Find a passion and do it!!!!!! That's what I'm all about =)

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home