flip flops anonymous

What can I say? I'm addicted!!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

College fling...

Tonight I was reminded of an old fling I had back in my 'college days'. This fling was like none I'd had before. It was different. Perhaps this was because he was a cardboard cutout....the only cardboard cut out I have ever dated for that matter...
I was introduced to Josh through my dorm neighbours, Heather and Lyndsay. I think it was love at first sight...there was an instant connection. Josh understood me. He would listen for HOURS and, no matter what I said, he would smile back at me. Josh was a bit of a rebel. He would hang out in the girls dorms ALL the time and would pose for hours in the window. I also appreciated the fact that he was extremely respectful. He allowed me my 'personal space' and would never argue back. He ALWAYS beat me at staring contests and found the best hiding spots during hide and seek. No one could find him!! (we later found him squished behind the fridge). One evening Josh and I enjoyed a romantic slow dance *sigh* He was a pretty good dancer...a bit stiff at times but, overall, it was really nice. I wish I could say that things stayed this way forever, but they didn't...
I started to wonder if Josh was in FACT the 'ideal boyfriend'. He had a rather flat personality and was not very deep. I began to doubt whether he really cared about what mattered in life because nothing seemed to phase him. I grew tired of doing all of the talking...I felt that our relationship was very one-sided. I questioned whether he was a bit too shallow for me...a bit too much of a dormat. He couldn't even stand up for himself!! And that smile (that I had so previously loved) began to look fake and plastered on his face. He only had one emotion: happy!! One day, I came crying into the room to announce that I thought I had failed a mid-term and he just smiled, that same goofy smile!! I told him it was over. I told him that I was tired of doing all of the talking. He just smiled.
Several weeks later I went to visit Heather and Lyndsay. They gently broke the news that Josh was gone. He had been stolen...
I sometimes think about Josh. I wonder if things could have worked out between us. I guess I'll never know. However, whenever I see a cardboard cutout I smile fondly. Then I try to make them blink/move (a game Josh and I used to play). It hasn't worked as of yet...but maybe...one day...

5 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

...maia. i'm afraid.

love you.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

I win...I have offically scared you...

10:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm seeing the irony between the lines...hmmm! I just wanted you to know my cardboard cutout is hotter than yours...!

11:16 AM  
Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

No...my cardboad cutout is hottest!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

Oh Andrew ;)

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home