flip flops anonymous

What can I say? I'm addicted!!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

A "rebel" with a cause...

Several days ago my Aunt Doris (technically my Dad's Aunt) passed away. The phone rang at 10:30 pm (which recently has meant 'bad news') and I instantly wondered "I wonder if it's about my Grandma or my Aunt". I stayed on the phone to listen to what the nurse had to say: "Hello Sir. I am very sorry to inform you that your Aunt passed away 5 minutes ago". I hung up the phone. After my dad finished speaking with the nurse we all just kind of sat around and reflected on my Aunt's life. She was an extremely fascinating woman. Had many 'suitors' but never married. Never had any children of her own. She always like to stir the pot and had the ability to make everyone laugh. I liked her. I liked her because she said what she thought. I liked her because she seemed 'in touch' with what was happening in the world. She was very insightful. I asked my dad about funeral arrangments and was surprised to hear that she was having her memorial in a funeral home. My Aunt Doris was a devout Christian and was very connected with her church in Abbotsford. My dad smiled and replied "That Doris...a rebel even until the end. She wanted to make a statement by being cremated and having her memorial in a funeral home". If you knew my dad's family you would understand that this is very uncommon. They aren't THAT 'old school' or legalistic but some of my dad's relatives have funny ideas about cremation (not very logical to me but that's besides the point) and about where a funeral should be held. I was proud of my Aunt. I think that, in some small way, I have a bit of that 'fighter' spirit in me too. Or maybe it's not that we are 'fighters'....perhaps we're just stubborn as heck. Either way, I'm ok with it. On Saturday our family will gather together to honour her and pay tribute to her life.

You will be greatly missed Aunt Doris. I'll make sure that, from time to time, the pot is still stirred ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dearest Maia...perhaps we are destined to take up where your Aunt D. left off...older crazy outspoken single spinsters. I'm up for the challenge...

11:19 AM  
Blogger The Bean Bag Chair said...

um...that andrew guy is creepy...who is he anyway?!!! LOL...oh the psuedo names I'm signed in with! Gosh - sometimes I'm computer stupid...

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home